Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dirt, Rice and Sun Tan Lines

I've now been at Emmanuel for nearly two weeks. It is amazing at how the time has passed so quickly.

It is such an amazing experience to minister to these children day after day. On a regular basis, my daily activities consist of morning circle time at 5:30am – this is a time in which the children gather in small groups and have a time of worship and teaching. Following circle, I go to breakfast in the middle boys’ kitchen (this is where I eat all my meals). On weekdays, the children go to school following breakfast (school starts at 8am); therefore, I head to the yard to play with the special needs children from 7:30am – 12pm.

After school lets out, we head up to lunch and then back to the yard to play with the kids who are now out of school. Many of the older boys and girls go to work at this time, whether on the farm, construction, laundry, cooking or sewing, etc. Dinner is usually about 3:30pm. After dinner, if the kids go to the yard, I go play there; but if they go to their houses then I usually head to the girls’ houses to hang out before bedtime, or I go to the toddlers’ house to help bathe them and put them to bed. It is great fun to play with them.

On weekends, we take out groups of children or families who don’t get to see each other often. We go to the casita (craft house), the gym, the farm, the lower (new) yard, or take them to the store. Sometimes we even have parties for them and make cakes, pancakes, cookies, etc. They usually love this time.

I love spending time with the kids. Once or twice per week I have to work in the Internet café. This makes me so sad because it takes away time I could be spending with the children. I desire to make great use of my limited time here. I continue to realize there is that much more to learn.

My Spanish is improving, but I still have a long way to go. The children are patient most of the time though and are eager to help. It has been a blessed trip thus far. I find that my days are spending fast. Continue to be in prayer for the children here that they will be open to learning that which the Lord has for them.

You may view photos via my facebook account. Three albums are currently active: Dirt, Rice and Sun Tan Lines, Beautiful People, and My Heart... His Home.


No comments: