Friday, July 6, 2007

A New Home

I arrived in Tegucigalpa about noon yesterday. Honduras has beautiful countryside, lots of rolling hills and enormous mountains. It is currently their rainy season as well so everything is particularly green this time of year. It was a hot, windy, long and beautiful bus ride to the orphanage. Once we arrived, it was time for church (5pm) so we changed into our skirts and headed down the hill. At service, the pastor talked about the necessity of counting your blessings rather than complaining about circumstances. Wow! Don’t we all need to hear more about that. It was beautiful to hear the children singing praises to the Lord in both English and Spanish. It just amazes me time and again at how big our God truly is!
Orphanage Emmanuel does such a great job. The Lord has certainly blessed their efforts. The orphanage, however, is currently under government inspection and they are afraid they may lose it. I do not know the whole situation. Mr. David (poppi) discussed “trials” tonight and Kelly told me that is why. He is concerned about the orphanage, but has tremendous faith that the Lord will do as He sees fit – His ways are not our ways, nor his thoughts our thoughts. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Mr. David and Mrs. Lydia (momi) are resting on his promises. What tremendous people of faith they are!
This morning I awoke for circle time about 5am and joined in with the little girls. We had breakfast with the girls as well, a bowl of chicken-flavored rice and potatoes baked with eggs. It was pretty good. I gave my extras to one of the girls. I got to play with some of the kids at the toddler house. They are so precious! It will definitely be one of the highlights of my days. My desire during my time here is not only to love the children but to minister to them. I have realized that just because they are at a Christian orphanage receiving Biblical teaching does not mean all the children at Christians. There are many kids here who need personal investment time in order to come to a better understanding of the love and peace offered to them through our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ. I pray I can help with that. I am learning lots about the orphanage: how it works, what goes on. I am learning lots about the orphanage: how it works and what goes on. I also learned that many of the children that are here are not actually orphans. Many of them have families with multiple brothers and sisters. Some of the children are from a family of 4 or 5 kids. That child was sent here while his brothers and sisters remain at home. Some children come from abusive situations, parents in jail, or parents who could not afford to properly care for the children. Many of these kids’ parents visit them on Saturdays.
One child I met today was Sandra. She is eleven years old. She has two sisters at Emmanuel. Her father died, but her mother currently lives in Tegucigalpa. I do not know her whole story; nevertheless, I am sure her mother does not visit frequently if ever due to the long drive to Guiamaca and the expense it incurs. Overall, my trip (although short) has been tremendous thus far. I love the nights here. The weather is great. They air is peaceful – random birds fly by my window throughout the night echoing seemingly new noises. It is a great time to think upon the things of the Lord and invest time in prayer for this place. I know God has done great things here throughout the last 20 years. I pray his sovereign hand will continue to guide this ministry through government investigation and all. I know God’s will ultimately will abound!

Thanks for your many prayers! Pictures are soon to come.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Congratulations on starting the mission work! We'll all be praying for you here.

I can't wait to see your pictures.